Copies of Motor Vehicle Accident Reports - Effective April 1, 2011, accident reports will be available online at ACCIDENT REPORTS.   The fee charged by the website is the responsibility of the person requesting.

Only individuals or organizations requesting an accident report directly from the Sheriff's Office who have an "interest" in an accident will be provided with a copy of the accident report with no fee.  
"interest" meaning:
1.  Is listed on a Vehicle Registration or Title of a vehicle involved in an accident
2.  Was an operator or passenger in a vehicle involved in an accident.
3.  Is a parent of a juvenile (17 or younger) involved in an accident.
4.  Is a property owner of which their property was involved or damaged in an accident.
5.  Is an insurance company or attorney or other professional entity representing an organization or individual involved in an accident.

anyone requesting a copy of an accident report directly from the Sheriff's Office must complete the ACCIDENT REQUEST FORM. Click here for the copy of the form:  Accident Request Form.  The form can then be mailed or delivered in person to the Sheriff's Office.  After a 7 to 10 business days processing period, the Sheriff's Office will notify the person requesting that the report can be picked up in person at the Sheriff's Office.

A Law Enforcement agency or other government agency requesting a report should contact Stephanie at 518-828-0601 ext. 1414.

Copies of incident reports will be released pursuant to Freedom of Information regulations.  See FOIL REQUEST.  A freedom of information form or a request in writing must be completed and submitted.  This can be done in person at the Public Safety Facility, or a request in writing can be mailed.  The request must contain as much information as possible and as specific as possible regarding date, location and names involved.  If a Freedom of Information request is made in person, please understand that the report/information can not be done immediately while you wait.  All efforts are made to address the request within the time period allowed by law.

NOTE:  Incident reports that include open active cases can not be released.  If you require information regarding the incident, legal avenues must be followed.  General information from the report itself can be released from the Sheriff's Office in letter form to insurance companies, etc....., if required.

Requests can be made:

In-person or by Mail:
Columbia County Public Safety Facility
Attention:  Sheriff's Office - Records
85 Industrial Tract
Hudson, NY 12534

Accident Reports - 518-828-0601 ext. 1414
Incident Reports - 518-828-0601 ext. 1415

Copyright 2006 Columbia County Sheriff's Office, Hudson, NY 12534